Area of Expertise
Ultrasound imaging, ultrasound elastography and thermography, ultrasound system design, signal processing using GPU/FPGA
Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, 2010, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.
MS in Biomedical Engineering, 2004, Zhejiang University, Hanzhou, China
BS in Biomedical Engineering, 2001, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
Office: 6-177 Keller Hall
Synopsis of the research
My research interests are in the general field of medical ultrasound with a particular interest in image-guided surgery using high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU). Within this framework, I have focused on system design and real-time implementation issues that spanned the processing chain from system-level design (FPGA/Firmware/Software) to high performance computing using FPGAs and GPUs. I have investigated the real-time implementation of speckle tracking algorithms with applications in ultrasound elastography and thermography. I've also been working on the adaptive ultrasound system for imaging and therapy.
1. A.J. Casper, D.Liu, J. Ballard and E.S. Ebbini, "Real-Time Implementation of a Dual-Mode Ultrasound Array System: In Vivo Results", IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 60, Issue 10, pp. 2751 - 2759.
2. A.J. Casper, D. Liu and E.S. Ebbini, "Real-time Control of Multiple-focus Phased Array Heating Patterns Based on Noninvasive Ultrasound Thermography", IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 59, pp. 95-105.
3. D.Liu and E.S. Ebbini, "Real-time 2-D Temperature Imaging Using Ultrasound", IEEE Transaction on Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 57, pp/ 12-16, 2010.
4. B. Guzina, K. Tuleubekov, D.Liu and E.S. Ebbini, "Viscoelastic characterization of thin tissues using acoustic radiation force and model-based inversion", Phys. Med. Biol., vol. 54, pp. 4089-4112, 2009.
5. D. Liu and E.S. Ebbini, "Viscoelastic Property Measurement in Thin Tissue Constructs Using ultrasound", IEEE Trans. Ultrason., Ferroelectr. Control, vol. 55, pp 368-383, 2008.
1. E. Ebbini, A. Casper, D.Liu, and J. Ballard, "Dual-mode Ultrasound Transducer (DMUR) System and Method for Controlling Delivery of Ultrasound Therapy," U. S. Patent Applications Publication No. US2013/0144165 A1 (WO2011156624A3).
2. E. Ebbini, D. Liu, Y. Wan, and A. Casper, "Vascular Characterization Using Ultrasound Imaging," U.S. Patent Applicaiton 20120283564.
3. E. Ebbini, D. Liu, and A. Casper, "Ultrasound Image Formation and/Or Reconstruction Using Multiple Frequency Waveforms," Provisional application filed on 7/23/2013.