University of Minnesota
Institute of Technology
myU OneStop

Electrical and Computer Engineering

Grievance Procedures

The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering has instituted a grievance procedure for graduate students for matters relating to graduate student and faculty relationships. If the parties in question cannot work through the issue themselves, then the following procedures can be followed:

Step 1  First point of contact is the Assistant to the Director of
     Graduate Studies, Linda Jagerson. Set up a meeting with her to
     to discuss the issue. Traditionally, many issues can be resolved at
     this level. Students also may wish to consult with community
     representatives like the Electrical Engineering Graduate Student
     Association (EEGSA) to discuss further options.

Step 2  If Step 1 does not result in a satisfactory resolution, the 
     EE Assistant to the Director of Graduate Studies or the student
     can initiate a meeting with the EE Director of Graduate Studies
     Keshab Parhi, to further explore this issue and a possible
     resolution. For matters relating to TA issues, Professor Parhi
     and/or the Center for Teaching and Learning is available for

  Step 3  If Step 2 does not result in a satisfactory resolution, the
     EE Director of Graduate Studies may recommend either a
     meeting with ECE Department Chair David Lilja,
     or with University resolution personnel (see Step 4).

  Step 4 University resolution options:

     The University Office for Conflict Resolution
     provides various services for faculty, TAs, RAs, and staff including
     anonymous consultation and mediation by a neutral third-party.
     Some aspects that they deal with include employment concerns
     such as expectations and workload in TA and RA relationships.
     For more information, please see their web site.

     The Student Conflict Resolution Center
     (SCRC) provides a full range of services to students with
     campus-based complaints or concerns. An ombudsman helps
     students resolve problems informally. An advocate also is available
     to assist students in formal grievance or disciplinary hearings.

     SCRC can help students deal with university regulations and
     policies, or misunderstandings between students and instructors or
     administrators. Students also may have concerns about unfair
     treatment or may have been accused of a violation of the student
     conduct code.