University of Minnesota
Institute of Technology
myU OneStop

Electrical and Computer Engineering

PhD Off-Campus Thesis Research Petition

A student who has completed at least one year of full-time graduate study on campus and who has been admitted to candidacy for a degree may Petition the department's Graduate Committee to do thesis research off-campus. This Petition should be written in the form of a memo and must be accompanied by an outline, in moderate detail, of the proposed research.  It should be signed by your adviser and should be submitted to Linda Jagerson for departmental handling. The burden of proof of the desirability of such an arrangement rests upon the student and his/her adviser. Approval must be obtained before the project begins. The following principles will apply:

   1.  The specific area of the thesis research must be represented in the Graduate School; i.e., the faculty
        adviser must be competent to direct the thesis research.
   2.  The off-campus site must offer special opportunities, such as experimental facili­ties, installations,
        specialized collections, or collaborative research items, which are unavailable on campus.
   3.  A member of the graduate faculty must actively join in the direction of the re­search of the student.
   4.  An outline of the proposed research study must be approved by the student’s examining committee
        before the research begins.