University of Minnesota
Main navigation |
Home | ECE Support Home > Computer Purchasing
Purchasing Assistance and Procedures
Our systems administrators can help you purchase hardware, software, and IT services. We leverage services from across the campus and the world to best-assist ECE personnel. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your purchasing question, and we will assist you.
Q: Why do most businesses and university IT departments buy enterprise desktops/laptops, which sometimes cost more than consumer versions?
A: Most enterprise models come with these benefits, which are usually worth the additional initial cost:
- Components are more thoroughly tested before delivery
- All machines come with full on board testing/diagnostics
- Machines come with minimum 24/7 availability, 3 year warranty, which may be optionally extended
- Warranty replacement time is overnight
- Components meet business standards for computer safety, reliability, and compatibility (components are higher-quality)
- Manufacturer technicians are available for on-site calls if needed
- Computers have longer expected lifecycles than consumer models
- Non-scripted service RMA requesting, which means significantly faster parts dispatch/repair
- Laptop, desktop, and mobile enterprise devices are built to be physically stronger than many consumer models.
- Consumer models often take 3-5 days longer to fix than enterprise models, often due to poor warranty exchanges and non-standardized or unavailable diagnostic tools
- The additional money spent on an enterprise model almost always is recuperated in long-term reliability and systems that last much longer
- Most enterprise machines have a lower total cost of ownership, even if the initial cost is higher
The ECE Support team works to ensure the security and functionality
of ECE Department computer systems.
2-130 Keller Hall
200 Union ST SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Primary Support Line: 612-625-5013.