Home | ECE Support Home > Admin Accounts
Administrator accounts may only be given out if it is necessary to have one in order to complete your University work. Accounts must be in full complicance of all applicable University policies.
If you would like an administrator/root account on a departmental computer, please fill out the following Google Form:
Administrative Account Request Form - Requires UMN Login
Administrator Account Use Instructions
Administrator Accounts on Windows
- Request access by completing the form
- If approved, your Internet ID will receive administrative rights on the workstation requested. You may use the Windows "Run As Administrator" feature to activate rights on a case-by-case basis.
- The computer will prompt you to enter your Internet ID and password if you use your Administrative privileges. Simply enter them and then administrative privileges will be granted for your application.
Administrator Accounts on Unix/Linux/Mac
After receiving an account, in most cases, you can use the sudo command to utilize your local root privileges. Please contact our support line if you have any questions.
Administrator Account Usage
You are only permitted to elevate to install or run software that
- Cannot run without administrative rights
- Is specifically for University business
- Is in full compliance will all University regulations
Contact us with questions or if you believe any University private data or computer systems have been compromised or infected.
The ECE Support team works to ensure the security and functionality
of ECE Department computer systems.
2-130 Keller Hall
200 Union ST SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Primary Support Line: 612-625-5013.